Avoid over-drying clothes
Hang-drying is the most energy-efficient and low-cost approach to drying clothes. When circumstances do not allow for hang-drying, you can still save some energy and money by using your clothes dryer efficiently.
Step by step:
- Spin before drying. Use the "spin cycle" on your washer to help remove water before you transfer clothes to the dryer.
- Use moisture sensor if your dryer has one. The moisture sensor ends the cycle when your clothes are dry, which prevents waste and over-drying.
- Separate loads efficiently. Dry your towels and other heavy items in a load separate from lighter-weight clothes.
- Dry longer on a lower setting. This uses less energy than drying for a shorter time on a high setting.
- Get the lint out. Remember to clean the lint filter after every load to improve air circulation.